With the government set to transfer the first instalment of Rs 2,000 to about 2 crore farmers over the next few days, senior Congress leader P Chidambaram on February 24 termed it as a “bribe for votes” and said the “greater shame” is that the Election Commission is unable to stop it.
This is to be Noted that Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 24 will launch the Rs 75,000-crore Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, by transferring the first instalment of Rs 2,000 each to over one crore farmers.
“Today is the ‘Cash for Vote’ day. The BJP government will officially give a bribe of Rs 2000 per agricultural family to get their votes,” Chidambaram said in a series if tweets. Here is what he has mentioned
1) Today is the ‘Cash for Vote’ day.
2) The BJP government will officially give a bribe of Rs 2000 per agricultural family to get their votes.
3) The money will go to the cultivating farmer as well as the absentee landlord.
4) Nothing can be more shameful in a democracy than ‘Bribe for Votes’.
5) The greater shame is that the Election Commission is unable to stop the ‘Bribe for Votes’.
A Congress-led government will return the penalties deducted from the bank accounts of economically weaker sections for failing to maintain minimum balance if UPA is voted to power again, said former Union minister P Chidambaram in Tirpur